Saturday, October 24, 2009

We did it!


Just got home from running in my first 5K (and yes, I said first. I hope there will be many more to come!). Chad ran it too, and Rebecca, my running buddy. It helped so much to have Rebecca there - she was my own personal cheerleader. Which I really appreciated because the first mile felt pretty awful. By the second mile, I was a running machine. And halfway into the third mile was pretty good too. But that last 1/2 mile about killed me. And there was Rebecca, telling me I was looking great and saying strange things like, "Come on, sprint the last stretch! You can do it!" I couldn't, but I tried.

And the next thing you know, I was seeing Chad up ahead cheering me across the finish line. After about passing out and having to sit down for a few, it dawned on me what I had done and I admit it, I started to cry. I NEVER in my whole life thought I would EVER run a 5K! And where I have been, a 3.1-mile run was almost a physical impossibility. So I have come a very long way. Hopefully, I will keep the momentum going and get a bit further!
Oh, and by the way...I took 4th place in my age bracket, which I am very proud of (although I was only competing with 9 other runners).
Chad, my super-overachieving-husband, got 3rd place in his bracket. Great job, Chad!

6 comments:

Mike & Dawn said...

Great job BOTH of you! Do more of these together. I am so proud of you.

rebecca said...

You rocked it, Laura! I had no idea the first mile was painful. :) You didn't show it, ever! I'm so proud of you. I know this race meant a lot to you and I'm so glad I got to share in your moment.

Countdown to March!

AmyJune said...

Congrats Laura. What a way to reach a goal.:)

Amy O said...

Way to go! I know you've been training diligently and you did it! Congrats!

Teri said...

OMGosh, your friend Rebecca really looks like a runner! What inspiration. I said it before and I'll say it again, "I knew you could do it!"

Nicole said...

Way to go Laura! You look fabulous and I'm so proud of you for reaching this goal!