Thursday, February 5, 2009

Inspired

So I sat down yesterday to steal a few moments with my scriptures. I am really trying to get some reading in everyday, even though it is hard for me and not the first book I would choose to pick up. Yet.
Anyway, I said a quick prayer beforehand, and basically asked the Lord to lead me to the page that will tell me what He wants me to learn. And I flipped the book randomly open and started to read D&C 88:119: "Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God." Wow, that really spoke to me! I have been a somewhat disorganized person for most of my life, although circumstances sometimes force me to get things in order (for example, my finances, when Renae Rollo started doing our taxes). And since Heavenly Father answered my prayer so quickly, I immediately jumped up and planned out meals for a week, wrote up a shopping list, cleaned out my freezer and fridge yesterday and my pantry today. I am obeying as well as I can. And being better organized feels so good! Maybe I'll be able to sleep better now...
I had to laugh last night, though. I was killing time waiting for Top Chef to start and was flipping through the channels - found a show called, "Help me, I am a Hoarder." They showed this lady whose apartment was nothing but junk, piled on every surface, and she had a psychiatric problem that made her hoard. A professional organizer came in and tried to help her go through her things. It was nuts. I don't know if that was a subtle message for me or what, but I'M DOING IT!!! Next will be my closet.

4 comments:

kstalder said...

Hmmm, wish I was there to help! I love that stuff. You'll do great!

rebecca said...

How is this going? What a neat experience. I love when God gives us those moments where it's like He's speaking directly to us. That's a great scripture and I love that you jumped in and started to work! Keep it up. You're doing great things all around, Laura!

Laura said...

It's going great - we just got ourselves all organized on a tight budget, and I have been cooking every night for two weeks. And I have been baking all our bread (we go through about 6 loaves a week, so that is a major accomplishment!). And Chad and I did a homemade Valentine's this year, which was awesome and very heart-warming. And inexpensive!

Nicole said...

Good for you! That's on my resolutions list for this year... go through all those closets and spaces where junk reside! I haven't been super successful yet. You just inspired me to get on it again!! (I love Top Chef too, btw) Anyway... keep up the good work!!