Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Letter from Adam to Megan

I did some mommy-stalking the other day and found this in Adam's Sent Mail file.  Tears!

HEY MEGAN!!!!!
Sorry about the crazy format, saving paper, making the letter easier to fold.
As of today, I have 5 real school days left. After this week, technically, I still have school, but its just graduation practice. I’M FREAKING GRADUATING!!!! I’m sending you a copy of my grad announcement so you can see how cool I am. I actually haven’t really played my guitar for about 8 months. This is something I regret but haven’t done anything about cause I’m too lazy =/ I need to play again. I’ve been biking a lot lately though, mostly mountain biking. I’ve gained plenty more scars from that, super fun.
Now choir. We just had our last concert of the year last night. I can’t remember if I’ve told you already – I think I haven’t – but I tried out for a solo (only seniors were allowed to do that stuff for this concert) I did You Found Me by The Fray. I didn’t get in because apparently I didn’t have enough on-stage experience. And yet he had me do a solo in one of our choir songs Somebody To Love. Ya know, the one from Happy Feet? I’m not sure why he had me do that and not You Found Me, cause a couple of the other solos didn’t sound that good at all. I think he had me do this because I’m one of the few senior boys who can hit those high notes, and/or he wanted every senior to have SOMEthing in the concert. Whatever. Sarge is crazy. He seriously is. The first concert on Thursday everything went great except one thing. Somebody To Love. First one of the other guy soloists doing the song with me totally screwed up and it messed with the timing of that whole section of the song. That’s what set me off. I messed up too. It was so embarrassing and I literally felt like I was going to die. Everyone was pretty nice about it, most didn’t say anything about me messing up, just complimented me. But there was one chic that said nothing but rude things, being really sarcastic and jerky. Needless to say that ruined the whole night for me. After that, I wanted to die. After it was all over, I got out of there as fast as I could. Mom talked to me, trying to make me feel better, but it didn’t help much. But hey, at least it wasn’t the Friday performance. Those are way more serious, a lot more people show up, and they record the performance that night. Both days of the concert were about the seniors and them leaving, but Friday was the one where the names were read off, the alumni came up, a slideshow was shown, and more. This one was a much bigger deal. Well everything went perfect and it was great. Lots of the girls were crying and everyone was freaking out mid-song at the end. It was pretty emotional and there were hugs going all over the place. I felt kinda out of place though cause I’ve only been in concert for a year and was the only senior that was like that. After that we sang the Alma Mater and that was it. Everyone socialized for awhile after but since I didn’t have crazy friendships with almost all of them I just grabbed my stuff and met fam and nyal out front. Forgot to bring my yearbook to that which was lame, but ill just bring it to choir tomorrow morning as it’s the last choir meeting/practice of the year (seniors don’t have to go but most if not all probably will cause of yearbooks and saying goodbye and stuff).
Enough about all that. I haven’t had any changes in medication in about a month and a half. This is reeeeeally good cause it means we’re finding the right combo of meds for me and I’m stabilized (or close enough to seem like it to everyone else). This was something I was a little worried about for college and whatnot but everything’s just falling into place. I’ve been doing really well in all aspects.
So I’m graduating on June 13, and since Sam’s birthday is the next day, we’re both going to this airsoft field that I found about 45 minutes away. Out door field. This is awesome. The only out door field that I knew about before this was about an hour and 45 minutes away, so this was an excellent find. Then sometime after that I’m going skydiving with dad. That’s gonna be great. I’m not going to youth conference here in Newbury cause I feel like I’d just get really annoyed at everyone and it’s a 1-day trek. Lame. So I’m doing youth conference with Nyal. We’re setting up a special Olympics which I’m really excited about. Maybe we’ll see Michael our cuz there.
So the college plan is this: already been accepted into the dorms which are co-ed (mom’s nervous about that but I just laugh at her), still don’t know who my roommate is which annoys me cause I actually don’t even know much about SUU which is lame. Move-in date is August 16, orientation the 18 and right after that I can register for classes. I think school starts a week later. I’ve got a 12-a-week meal plan, which is nice cause it allows for some variety. I assume I’ll be getting a laptop like you, definitely Apple. And because I’ll be getting a laptop I plan on asking for a smart-phone for my birthday (definitely not an iPhone cause from my research, they’re some of the most technologically inferior of all smart phones on the market. I’m asking for a galaxy phone). So I’ll be getting through my required classes this year but I’m majoring in Criminal Justice as I believe I’ve already told you. After graduating with that degree though, I will either go to grad school, not sure about the major, but still considering it, or doing an internship in DC for the CIA.  Woof crazy plans but I think I can do it. Mom says she’ll miss me a lot for my handyman skills. I can fix almost anything and have done a lot around the house. She wants me to train Sam before I go.
So anywayz. Girls. I’ve been single since last early November I think and I have had no problem with that whatsoever. I’ve definitely grown out of that girl-crazy Adam you used to know. That doesn’t mean I don’t have minor crushes on select girls here and there, but I have no desire to do anything about it. I even have some friends in choir who are girls who I am closer to than any other choir member and it’s no big deal at all. Just good friends, no feelings whatsoever. ISN’T THAT WEIRD?????? I don’t think I’ve ever been like that with girls…well except with XXXXX (name changed to protect the innocent) but whatever. I didn’t go to prom cause I couldn’t find anyone in our stake I felt comfortable asking. It’s not like I didn’t want to go with someone I didn’t have feelings for, I just wanted it to be someone I knew and could have fun with. So nobody. How lame is that. But it came and went without drama or problems so whatever. I’m really happy about this attitude I have about girls because it dramatically decreases the potential for heartbreak (which I’ve had plenty of) and makes it easy for me to say no until my mission. I am certain that my college friends (assuming I’ll get some, which I’m somewhat confident I will) will try to set me up, but I’ll just date as friends, no intentions of going anywhere. No clue when I’ll get married though. HA.
Mission. So from what I’ve learned and heard, I will most likely not be serving a full time mission. Which needless to say, I’m a little bummed about, but (and this is cool) mom talked to the head missionary department dude IN THE WHOLE CHURCH, Elder Evans (apparently he’s the dad of someone in our ward). He took down mom’s number and gave it to the head doctor dude in the mission department who then called mom and they had a conversation about my options. Bipolar 1 people aren’t allowed to serve a mission period. I’m bipolar 2. I’m on a lot of meds, have been hospitalized, etc,etc. The church has to be very careful of these kinds of things because of all the problems they’ve had with missionaries with mental illnesses. So this guy told mom that I will most likely be serving a modified mission, which could mean serving around home, working in family history, temple square, service mission, and even being a veil worker in the temple. Ultimately this choice is up to bishop and stake president, but they will be doing a lot of research to decide. And even though they are the ones choosing what I’ll be doing (to an extent from what I know. The missionary dept obviously will have a lot of say in it) I’ll still be most likely serving in a modified mission, which I completely am ok with. I will be happy to serve any mission. I want to serve the Lord. So, lots to look forward to.
I am super excited to see you too when you get back. It’s getting closer and closer!! But don’t get trunky. Go hard until the end. I really liked your last letter that you sent about the Huntingtons. Mom confirmed that they were indeed our ancestors. I am so very proud to be a descendent of these marvelous men and will indeed work hard to live up to that standard.
You be good, ya hear?? Be careful with your health. It’s more of a deal than you realize, and you shouldn’t try to downsize these things. Just give us pure, emotionless facts and descriptions. We’ll try not to freak out about it, but we WILL act on it if COMPLETELY necessary. Don’t worry about worrying us, that’s our job. Just worry about being completely able to do your duty. If you’re cooped up in your apartment or in a hospital you wont be able to serve! And you are there to serve. Think of it that way!! You are so amazing. Realize how crazy awesome you have been dealing with all these problems and crazy situations. You are so brave. You do whatever you can to do your duty. You have no idea the effects it will have on your life. You will look back on this with such wonderful memories that you will have for the rest of your life.
I love you Megan. Remember that you do have a guy back home waiting for you, and this one wont Dear John you. I’ve changed a lot, you probably wont recognize who I am at first, but I have changed for the way better.

Love your ever strong and faithful brother,

Adam Huntington Wright

No comments: