Thursday, December 11, 2008

Our Dog, Uncle Rico



This is Uncle Rico, our family dog. His history? Well, I got caught too many times with the cats in the house (Chad is/thinks he is allergic) so they had to live outside. Of course, they all got eaten by coyotes. In 3 1/2 years, we lost 4 cats. My kids were devastated. And being of the school of thought that every child needs a pet, I broke down and decided to give a dog a try. I duly did my research: I knew I didn't want a large dog because after being bitten on the face by a German Shepherd as a child, big dogs terrify me. I didn't want one that would shed. I didn't want one that was too yappy. And it would help if it could be kind of furry like a cat. Voila! A Shih Tzu!



Chad and I went to the pet store and looked at Rico and a wild little Yorkie that was bouncing off the walls. Rico cuddled up on my lap and looked up at me with liquid black eyes. When he threw in a little whimper, I was sold! But the biggest sale was watching my kids when I brought Rico home...Megan cried, and the other ones were just freaking out with excitement! Chad thought it would be funny to name him after the ridiculous Uncle Rico on Napoleon Dynamite...but I shortened it to Rico and it fits just right.




Rico's favorite thing to do is sit by the back doors looking out for cats to come into our yard. If he sees one (and since our neighbor has around 7 cats, he sees them often), he whines at the door until I let him out, and then he goes tearing after the cat, barking wildly at them. The cats couldn't care less, but it makes Rico feel like a good big guard dog, so it works.



Otherwise, Rico is a LOUSY guard dog. He loves people, ESPECIALLY strangers! The pizza guy is his favorite, but he adores most other people who come to my door.
Some of the things about a dog that I was surprised with: Rico likes to chew minty gum. He doesn't swallow it, he just chews and then spits it out when he is done. Rico loves Chad more than anyone in the whole family. When Chad comes home, the two of them are just silly together. (that does make me smile) Rico is glued to me most of the day (I protect him from the kids) - and he gives me nice little puppy pedicures while I am typing at the computer!
So, the dog experiment has been largely a success. At least until he poops on my new carpet...then that'll be grounds for divorce! Maybe...

6 comments:

kstalder said...

Glad he has fresh breath! And um, what's a puppy pedicure?

Jill said...

Ah, you'll still love him and forgive him if he poos on the new carpet. :)

Teri said...

That carpet does look a little light.

Nicole said...

Rico is fun! Glad it's worked out so well. My dog is another story...

rebecca said...

I'm in the same school of thought on pets. Kids should have them, even if they poop! (Which is why we've had 5 cats so far . . .) Rico is really cute. And really? He can chew gum? That's amazing!

Jen O. said...

Rico is my hero. Three years ago I became a first-time dog owner, and fell in love with Bella. She's 1/2 Pug, 1/2 Beagle (Puggle). And a year ago we added Pippi. They are so much fun. When I have a bad day, they somehow make it all go away. And I know all about puppy pedicures. They tickle like crazy!

Maybe we can have a park day w/ our dogs. We love Miller Park, and taking the little trails at the back of the park. I'll call you about it soon.