As is tradition in our family, we went to New Harmony UT (never heard of it? most haven't. Exit 42 on I-15) to enjoy the holiday with family at my parent's and my sister's homes. This year, we stayed with my sister DeAnn Carter and her family (Thank you, DeAnn, you guys are just awesome!). It was great because mom didn't want Rico in her brand-new home (understandably), but DeAnn is a dog-lover so he was welcome there! And he had a great doggy time running with DeAnn's pack!
New Harmony is a tiny little town with a few houses, a church (Mormon, of course), a post office, a fire station, and a little park with nothing but grass. No traffic to speak of, and no creepy people that might abduct my kids (I'm related to the whole town, plus, I doubt if anyone there would want them!) Consequently, my kids have ultimate freedom in NH. They ride their motorcycles and the quad all over town, from grandma's to aunt DeAnn's to the cemetary to look at relative's gravesites (hmmm...they are ALL our relatives!), to the park for a rousing game of soccer, to the creek bed to look at interesting rocks - and the only thing I fear is that they might hit a deer. Of which, there are magically MANY! They have paintball wars with the cousins, Wii tournaments, and at aunt DeAnn's house there are always fun crafts and kid games going on. Meanwhile, Chad and I visit with loved ones and watch movies and play marathon games of Phase 10. And eat. My relatives can COOK!
What's not to love about New Harmony?!
The scenery is to-die-for, with Zion's to the East and other beautiful mountains to the West...and life is just slower there. So restful. My ancestors came from England via Salt Lake and settled New Harmony in the 1800's - I can see why they didn't want to leave. Not much going on there, but definitely a Vacation Destination for our family!
Friday, December 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Sounds fun! Glad you guys had a great time, including Uncle Rico!
It was a great week! Can't wait to see you on the 14th. Love you.
Aw! I love Phase 10! Let's get together and play...
Are you going to be the town's next residents??
One day...
I love small towns! Your kids will have all these great memories!I know I do of visiting my grandma in Minnesota.
I want relative in New Harmony! What a fun thing to look forward to each year!
Post a Comment