Monday, July 22, 2013

Girls week

This morning at 4:00, I sent both boys off to Zion's camp...which I think is just a glorified version of scout camp only with some religious stuff thrown in.  I could be wrong.  I haven't ever participated in Zion's camp before.  Anyway, there was a lot of preparation that went into this week.  I'm not talking about packing clothes or buying of supplies, although there was that too.  I'm talking about all the pep-talks and prayers.  This week will be the first time Adam has been away from home since his stint in Aurora Vista.  He will be in charge of taking his own meds.  He will be on his own to deal with his social anxiety.  In a way it is good practice for his mission (yes, he still plans on serving a mission...might be a little later than other boys but I'm ok with that).  He was excited to go until he walked in on us talking on the phone with the leader going with them.  We felt that we needed to give him the head's up about Adam's bipolar and see if he could just check in with Adam to make sure he was taking his meds.  It wasn't that long ago that Adam was threatening to quit taking them, so I didn't want him to look at this week as a great opportunity to try that!  Also, we got him special permission to take his phone in case he gets hard core anxiety and needs to be talked through it.  He didn't want someone checking up on him - said he didn't need a babysitter.  I understand him feeling uncomfortable with that but the bottom line is, he needs someone right now.  Plus, if I was the leader, I would want to know what I was dealing with.
And then there is Sam.  Sam gets homesick.  He is so socially awkward that it is painful.  So he misses the unconditional love and acceptance that he gets at home and wants it when he feels like he doesn't fit in.  He has been treated badly, but really no more than other boys.  We had to pep-talk the heck out of him - and even then it almost wasn't enough.  Frankly, the kid is 13 years old.  He needs to man up.  I am getting pretty sick of the clinginess!  I am hoping that he makes some friends, strengthens friendships that he already has, and sees that he doesn't need mom and dad to be happy.  There has been a certain amount of enabling here, I am trying to counter that.
So, Chad gave them both blessings.  Say what you want about it, it is just scout camp, right?  But don't judge.  It was a sweet family moment, and afterward, they seemed calm and happy.  Sophie had some questions about the Priesthood.  It was a learning experience for all of us.  And then I had to get the boys out of bed at 3:25 am to get them to the church on time to catch their rides.  I'm feeling hung over!  But they were fine, even excited, so I'm not too worried.  They're going to have a great week.

So its just me and Sophie this week, and she is certain to get bored.  But I am REALLY enjoying the girl time with her.  We went on a walk this morning, very good for me, and had a good talk.  I  am taking advantage of this girl time to talk to her about who she is and what she stands for.  I am sneaking in little comments about the gospel every time I can, without seeming preachy.  We have all kinds of activities planned, from crafts to movies to play dates and special lunches.  I love that girlie and I want her to grow up as strong and faithful as her older sister.  I also want her to know that I love her so much and I want us to be besties just like me and Meg.  No taking a break this week, it will be packed with Sophie specialness.  She deserves it, she is a GREAT kid!  

No comments: