Wednesday, July 10, 2013

There's a hole in my heart.

Last Saturday, Meg left the MTC for Fiji.  Missionaries are allowed to call home from the airport and are given a 15 minute phone card...so I was one super excited Mama!  She told us that she would call around 5:00pm.  That came and went.  So did 6:30pm.  At 7:00, Chad called the MTC to see if she had really left.  She had.  Finally, at 7:15pm, we got the phone call.  It was so sweet to hear her voice!  After she used up the 15minutes, she called us back again with another card she had purchased from the bookstore...and when she used that one up, she used her ATM card.  Haha, we talked for 3 HOURS!!!  It was the best phone call of my life.  She spoke Fijian to us and wow, is it a funny-sounding language!  We talked about the MTC, and who she saw there, and her calling there, and then we talked about all the news from home, and she talked to each of the kids, and she was so spiritual.  And so excited!  After 3 hours (most of which was monopolized by ME), we kind of ran out of things to talk about, and it was getting close to her boarding time, so we said goodbye.  I got a little teary but I tried to hold it in until we got off the phone.  And then she flew for 15 hours, then caught a shuttle and rode it for 4 hours to get to Suva and the mission home.  She completely missed Sunday, since Fiji is 19 hrs ahead of us.  And my heart was aching.  And every day I get slammed in the pit of my stomach with the knowledge that my best friend is far far away and I won't get to see her for 17 months.  Oh, it is bittersweet!  But I am trying to focus on the missionary miracles that we are seeing here and there.  Here and there.  At least I'm not crying anymore.

No comments: