Thursday, August 22, 2013

School starts!

Well, here we are at the beginning of another school year.  Adam will start next Wed, and he is a SENIOR!!!  Blows my mind.  Totally different situation than when Meg was a senior - man, she acted like an adult and it was the best year of our lives, to date.  I LOVED that year!  Remembering that school year, the cross country and track meets, the BYU-Provo acceptance, the fun friendship between Meg and Adam and the casual teenage firepit and guitar nights, graduation, our trip to England...it was the best.  Sometimes I cry, missing that school year.  But I digress.
So anyway, with Adam being a senior and all, he isn't going to know until the first day of school what supplies he will need, and even then, it certainly won't be colored pencils and glue sticks.  I am also still homeschooling Sam and Sophie this year.  So all these ads about school supplies and new school clothes, and people posting pictures of their kids going back to school on FB...I am not getting any of that.  I have to be honest.  I miss that and I am feeling a loss.  I've been asking the young ones if they wouldn't rather go back to public school and they say a resounding "NO!"  And it is just as well.  Public school pretty much stinks in every way.  Some schools are better than others but they are all required to teach certain standards, some of which are just offensive.  And they are full of immodestly dressed kids and language that I just don't want my kids exposed to.  So on a theoretical level, I am totally supportive and even excited about homeschooling.  But I miss that school shopping and first day of school excitement.  I considered taking pictures of my kids in pajamas for their first day of school pictures.  But that might give people the idea that we are lazy about school and we are anything but lazy!!!  A lot of my homeschooling friends are groaning about school starting again.  I kind of feel that way too, except that I found a bunch of super-cool enrichment classes for them and that will resolve the boredom that we experienced last year.  So that excites me.
Maybe I should take them school shopping anyway.  Surely they will need some supplies.  Any supplies!  Clothes, not so much.  Maybe just a new pair of pajamas.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Did you ever check out Einstein Academy or MATES? Everyone is modest because they wear uniforms and they are charter schools so they have their own charter to follow. I absolutely loved MATES!