Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Adam's first day of Senior year, fingers crossed


Today is Adam's first day of school, his Senior year.  Last year, understandably, didn't go so well.  He didn't start doing really well until this summer, and it was wonderful.  But now.  Back to school.  And all the anxieties that accompany it.  And we all know that Adam doesn't do well with anxiety.  I had a talk with him about my concerns with his mental health and he was argumentative at first but then I think he started to understand me.  He wants all the freedoms that other kids his age have, but I just can't give them all to him when I don't know whether he will make good or not so good choices with those freedoms.  Which REALLY bugs him.  And I understand that but what can I do?  This bipolar!  What a rotten thing.  I asked him to give me two weeks to see how he does, and then we will talk about him getting an off-campus pass, etc.  I reminded him that there was a time last year when he wasn't even allowed to drive to school, and that now he had that freedom back.  I think he got it.  I hope he got it!  This will be the test.  I have been praying hard for us to be able to get him regulated and healthy so that he can serve a mission.  I have been fasting and praying so hard for help in finding the right meds, in finding the right therapist and psychiatrist.  I am literally laying my faith at the Lord's feet and begging for help.  We have basically one year to get this all figured out if Adam is going to be able to serve his mission when he (and we) wants to.  I think he can do it, if he is medicated properly.  If he is like he was this summer, then I think he will be fine with it.  But this summer was a no-stress, no-anxiety summer.
Agh, I am worried.  Like always, I am worried.

No comments: