I don't know if I am just hyper-sensitive about this but I keep seeing serious modesty issues running rampant through our YW program. Mostly in the length of the skirts. I have heard the YM commenting on it - because I have two sons, and because my hubby is the Priest quorum advisor. It is bothering grown men too. This worries me. After all, my second calling is as a group leader of the pornography family support group (for wives, girlfriends of porn addicts). I hear such sad stories, over and over again about these men who are trying so hard to overcome a serious addiction, think that they are going to be "safe" at church, and find that they can't escape it there either. Some people say "Those perverts just need to keep their eyes in their heads and stop looking! Their problems are not the women's problems!" Ok, in a perfect world, that would be totally correct. But this is not a perfect world, men are hard-wired differently than women (and they are not perverts. period.), and frankly, what are the women (girls) thinking will happen when dressed immodestly?! Why do they dress immodestly in the first place? For attention. Duh.
So anyway, I have discussed the situation with all the appropriate leaders, and although there is general agreement, the biggest concern is that if we preach too much modesty, the girls will get offended and quit coming to church. This is a legitimate concern. So you can see my dilemma. Luckily, I am not the leader directly over the worst offenders. I have beautiful Beehives, who are still young and innocent enough that they can be taught. Most of them have older sisters that dress immodestly though. So they won't get support from their moms (don't get me started on those moms. many of them have temple recommends and should know better than to encourage their daughters to wear clothes like that, especially to church. but whatever. I can't do anything about that.)
So I have been praying, praying, praying. How to teach modesty to these young girls without offending them. And one morning I woke up with a flash of inspiration. Have a special Beehive activity celebrating women, what it means to be a woman in God's plan, how to respect our womanhood and use it to uplift people around us. NO ONE could get offended about that. Celebrating being a girl? PERFECT! I decided to have it at my house, decorate the heck out of it, serve girly refreshments, and find a great guest speaker who could teach it. So then I started praying about who that guest speaker could be. And the next morning I woke up with a name on my mind and a warm, positive feeling in my heart about having this one woman who had just moved into our ward. She has two daughters in our YW, both of them are awesome young ladies who dress modestly and stand for truth and righteousness. Clearly their mom has it going on. Plus, she comes from a family full of girls who I know from my own YW days to be awesome young women too. I ran the idea by my advisor, she enthusiastically agreed, so I called this woman. She enthusiastically agreed too. I gave her a couple of conference talks to base it on, and specifically mentioned that she could include how to behave like a lady and dress modestly, use clean language, and not base self-esteem on popularity or looks. And trusted in the Lord that whatever she said would be what girls needed to hear. I have been so excited about this activity! But also stressed and worried, which is just who I am.
I spent all day yesterday baking and decorating my house. And praying. And all but one girl showed up! And my guest speaker did a phenomenal job. And she spent a good 25 minutes talking very openly about modesty. She talked about how modesty is more than just how you dress. It is in your heart and head, and how willing you are to be a Woman of God. She then showed examples of how to modify dresses to be modest. She gave them a list of websites where they could find really attractive and up to date modest dresses. She made them a handout - a framed picture of the temple that they could hang next to their closets to look at before they picked out an outfit for the day. She knocked it out of the park. In short, I LOVED IT!!!
Its interesting what happens when we pray for help in our callings. I know Heavenly Father loves those precious Beehives because His hand was in this activity from the beginning. I love having prayers answered. Again.
Thursday, October 17, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Laura, this is a very timely written piece. I am continually shocked by how some YW in our ward dress!! SHOCKED! Not only length of skirts but also tops being waaaaay too low cut! Unfortunately the mothers tend to dress this way too. Fortunately, however, more girls dress modestly than unmodestly. Your Beehive girls are lucky to have a leader who cares and prays for them!
I've told Olivia that she is a princess because she is a daughter of a king (Heavenly Father). I've tried to show her how a real princess (Kate Middleton) dresses classy and modest compared to all the skanks in world. Luckily Olivia is super modest. Hopefully she stays that way.
Do the girls realize they're dressing immodestly? Sometimes a shirt might gape open and you don't realize it.
Oh Jill, they know. These are dresses that, 20 years ago, you would see on Pretty Woman. Barely covering their butts. At church.
Oh Jill, they know. These are dresses that, 20 years ago, you would see on Pretty Woman. Barely covering their butts. At church.
Post a Comment