So, we have had two big things that we've been working on in the past 3 months. Finding a way to buy a house, and finding a way to help Adam move out when he turns 18. We were already sure that he wouldn't be serving a mission at 18. So what else was there? College, or a job and a rented room somewhere because he is difficult to live with. So college, but where? I wasn't happy about BYU Idaho because it is SO BLOOMING FAR AWAY FROM EVERYONE, and he didn't have the grades or the ACT score for BYU Provo. I have been thinking about SUU in Cedar City, UT for awhile now - it felt so right for Adam. Small, less stress, and best of all, super close to family. They could definitely keep an eye on him for me! BUT. Being a non-Utah-resident, the tuition was TRIPLE that of Utah residents. Yes, I said triple. Chad kept telling me no way. The BYU's are so affordable. I just about gave up but there was a nagging desire that just wouldn't go away. I started doing my homework about 2 months ago...found out that there were scholarships that could help with that cost. So he applied. And Adam got in and qualified for a great 4-year scholarship...which can be deferred for his mission. It is so perfect that we seriously cannot question where this miracle came from. On top of it, they have the major that Adam is interested in, Criminal Justice, and they have a forensics lab. (He wants to be a police investigator. Great job security and benefits.) Last week we went on a campus tour while we were in New Harmony for Thanksgiving...it was so great. Dorms where he can request LDS roommates. Food plan. But the most impressive thing was the Institute! Adam was worried about being able to take a mission prep class at a non-lds school...not worried anymore! The Institute was HUGE! 22 student wards. An Institute concert choir. By the time we left Cedar City, Adam had such a huge smile on his face. Pretty much a no-brainer for him. So now his future is all set. One year at SUU, mission, then 3 more years at SUU, then a career in law enforcement.
Oh, and did I say that he started a new med about three weeks ago and it is WORKING! He's less depressed. Guess what? It is the same med I take for my epilepsy (just different dose) and I had been feeling that we should give it a try. The dr. suggested it and we noticed a major change right away. Now Adam just has a bad case of Senioritis, but that, I can deal with.
Now, the house. Well, lets just say that this story is so full of twists and turns that if I explained them all here you would be dizzy. Suffice it to say, we thought we were going to get one house & lot, then we were heartbroken when it sold, then we were trying to get excited about another one, then the people who bought the first lot dropped out (that we even found out about that is unbelievable), then we got it but had to have a final bank approval (which turned out to be super hard to get, due to new regulations and the sheer volume of paperwork!!! I've never had to deal with such narrow parameters in my life)...we found out that we got it the day before Thanksgiving. So now we get to move forward with having the home built with all our preferences in upgrades...its going to end up being a dream house. Won't be done until next summer, but I don't care. It is the coolest thing. Probably it will be our forever house. We prayed that if we were supposed to stay in Dos Vientos, we would find a way to buy a house...it was a CRAZY adventure, but here we are. I was so happy to find this rental house and get moved in...that story is also full of miracles...but I'm ready to give up the rental life now.
I'm telling you, every day I wake up wondering how we can be so blessed. So so many blessings. It is amazing and I am humbled by the Lord's love and His involvement in our lives. I don't know what I did to deserve so much. Must be Megan's mission.
1 comment:
So where are you moving?
Post a Comment