Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Isn't it over yet?

Holy wow, I am sick of school!  This has been a tough homeschooling semester for all of us, and I am about used up.  And I am so tired of worrying about Adam making it to graduation…I can't wait for June 13!!!  He'll graduate just fine, he is getting B's in all of his classes, but having him graduate will be a huge accomplishment for all of us!  Truly an occasion to celebrate.
Anyway, because of my pushing, Sam is done with two of his subjects already and almost done with the other two.  Sophie is done with two too.  But she is behind in math, so we will probably have to work on that through the summer.  Their official last day of school is May 29th…but if they finish before then, we're starting summer the very next day!
I decided to send Sam to public high school next fall.  He hasn't been learning as well with these online classes, he is bored and gets sidetracked so easily.  No focus.  And his education is so important to us! And while I am super concerned about the atmosphere at NPHS, and the indoctrination that he will probably face, I think that Sam can make it ok.  It all depends on who he makes friends with, and I have that covered too!  I took him to try out for the school choir.  And he made it!  This is a program that Adam has participated in for the past year, and it is top-notch.  The choir director is phenomenal.  The choir wins awards every year.  And there are a lot of LDS kids in choir.  So I think it will be a great place for Sam to make friends.  It was for social reasons that I started homeschooling him in the first place, and he has a lot more confidence now.  I feel really good about it, which is funny, because if you had asked me 3 months ago, I would have said an emphatic NO WAY to public high school.  I have come full circle, but not because I am sick of homeschooling or sick of Sam!  I have fasted and prayed for months about this.  I looked into every single other option I could find - classes at the local junior college, private school, group homeschool classes…didn't feel good about any of them.  Just a stupor of thought at every turn.  I started thinking about being in the world but not of it…and hearing stories about kids who were super sheltered by their parents and as soon as they left home they went nuts and didn't know how to make it in the real world.  And I thought about Meg and when she really gained her strong testimony was during Prop 8, when she had to face so much opposition at school and stick up for her beliefs.  Then Sister Reed spoke in General Conference about pornography and she emphasized that the best way to battle it is for our youth to have strong testimonies.  And then I went to the temple, praying about it, and all I kept hearing was Eve talking about it being better to have opposition, good and bad, etc.  I then realized that the most important thing for Sam is to have a strong testimony in spite of the opposition and temptation he will be facing.  Long story short, Sam is going to have a summer of intense preparation for the evils of public high school!  Testimony boot camp, if you will!  He is a good boy without rebellion or guile.  He will be fine.  I feel good about it, and so does he.
Sophie still wants to be homeschooled, but I think that will be fine because she is young enough that I still understand her homework!  I can continue teaching her.  But I'm looking forward to the break, and I know they are too!
May 29th is also Meg's one year mark.  I am so happy to be here!  Most people will say that it went so fast!  I don't feel that way…but that's ok.  I'm just thankful to only have 6 months left until she gets home.  I'm telling you.  I can't wait to get to know the new Meg, because I know she has learned so much on her mission!  And man, Christmas this year is going to be so special!  Meg home from Fiji, Adam home from college, the family all together again in a new home.  I am looking forward to it and hoping it will end up living up to my expectations, haha!
9 more days.  9 more long days.

No comments: