This weekend was a big one for the Wright men. Adam wanted to go skydiving for his 18th birthday, and since I took Megan to England for hers, how could I say no, it was a lot cheaper! Chad was so on board with the idea. He has been wanting to go skydiving for years. But the real surprise was the addition of Chad's dad, Mike (Grandpa W). So there were 3 generations of Wrights jumping out of the plane on Saturday! Mike is 73 years old. You have to give him huge props for going skydiving.
I am proud of him!
Each had different reactions to the whole experience. Adam immediately texted me and said, "I want to work here! I am so doing this again with Meg when she gets home!"(ah, youth), Chad said, "It was intense! I am glad I did it and I don't feel like I have to do it again." Mike said, "I'm glad I did it but I'm glad its over." All three men came home and went straight to bed for a nice long nap.
Chad's mom and dad were in town for a totally different reason. Chad was called to be our ward High Priest group leader, and as such, needed to be ordained to the office of High Priest. It was so special that his dad could come down to do that ordination. That's the way it should be, and
it means a lot to us that they would come.
But for Chad to be a High Priest! It's crazy! He is so young. Most High Priests are older and much more seasoned Priesthood holders. At this date, Chad is the youngest High Priest in our ward. Neither one of us can figure out what the heck the Bishop was thinking when he suggested Chad for this calling. There are plenty of fantastic High Priests that could fill that calling. It is puzzling, doesn't make sense. When we were meeting with the Stake President, I asked him why they would call someone who wasn't already a High Priest to this calling, and he shrugged and said, "It was inspired. Your Bishop prayed about it, we (stake presidency) prayed about it, and the high council had to approve your name too." So there you go. We just have to assume the Lord knows what He is doing. I have no doubt that Chad will be able to fill this calling well, but he just feels a little like a whipper-snapper. And then he went and called our former stake president to be his first assistant! That took some guts. Kind of a strange choice, but Chad said he felt inspired. I'm telling you, the Lord works in mysterious ways. None of it makes sense to me but I'm not going to worry about it anymore. Its not up to me to counsel the Lord!
But the most important thing I have to say about Chad becoming a High Priest is that I support his Priesthood 100%. I have always felt that men need the Priesthood to give them something higher to live up to. To help them perfect themselves. Most men are total knuckleheads (at best). This is why auto insurance is more expensive for men than women. In general, they are not good drivers, they are too crazy. Also that whole "natural man" thing - I believe that this life is the time for men to overcome their natural man tendencies, and frankly, the Priesthood helps with this. Women don't have those same challenges, and we have different strengths and talents that are inherent to our gender. We don't need the Priesthood to help perfect ourselves, most of us are pretty motivated to do that on our own. I don't want the Priesthood for myself, I don't need it. But I will support the Priesthood that my sons and my husband hold, and I will support them as they exercise it. And I am grateful for its power in my home.
All of it. Teacher, Priest, and High Priest.
No comments:
Post a Comment