Well, due to insurance stuff, I didn't get my first infusion until yesterday. It was a weird experience. I was the youngest one there, and most of the other people were there getting infusions of chemotherapy. It was sad. I just kept thinking, this could be so much worse! And I wondered what kind of cancer they all had. I hope I will never have to go to one of those infusion labs for any other reason than iron. So I sat there for 1 1/2 hrs with a needle in my arm and felt that pleasant cold tingle of fluid flowing into my veins. I've about had it with needles, I'm telling you. Next time I go in (next week), I will only have to stay for 30 min. But they had to do a loading dose this time and then observe me for adverse reactions for awhile. I felt dizzy but I think that had to do with the needles.
No magical rush of energy. In fact, there was no difference at all. But this morning! I am happier, and more excited for the day. I slept like a slug. I don't know what my hemoglobin level is today but it must be higher because I'm feeling better. And I cannot even begin to tell you how happy that makes me! I'm still not allowed to do much for another two weeks, but if this gets me off the couch and feeling more upbeat, then I can wait for the rest.
And the ablation went well, the recovery was not hard and didn't require a lot of pain meds at all. I am just excited to not have periods anymore! I'll save some money on feminine supplies, that's for sure!
As I do more and more research, and talk to the hematologist more, I am realizing just how serious this has been for me. Normal hemoglobin levels for women range from 12 to 18. For the past month, since we tested for it the first time, my level has bounced between 8.3 and 8.9. If you hit 8.0, they hospitalize you and do a blood transfusion, no questions asked. The problem is the lack of red blood cells, which carry oxygen to all the organs. Especially the brain and the heart. I have been at high risk of heart attack and stroke. I have worked with 4 different doctors on this problem. All of them have ordered me to stay down and not do anything to increase my heart rate at all. Even so, while I was driving on the freeway last week, I very nearly passed out and had to pull off for 30 min to rest. I have spent most of the past month on the couch, watching "19 Kids and Counting" (say what you want, those Duggars are just good people) and "Say Yes to the Dress". But trying to hold myself together in spite of zero energy, depression, and insomnia. I feel for my family. Even a tiny improvement is a big deal for me!
Two weeks. In two weeks I should be just about back to normal. Yeah! Here's hoping for no complications!
And, we finally got Meg's final travel itinerary, she will be arriving home on Dec. 4 at 11:25am at LAX. I can't believe it is finally here! So happy, and so excited to have energy again so I can get ready for her.
Tuesday, October 28, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment