Sunday, October 5, 2008

What I did this weekend...by Laura Wright







On Saturday our family joined about 344 (give or take a few) other people to walk in the Moorpark Country Days parade behind the "Yes on Prop.8" sign. We all bought matching shirts and the kids carried balloons, and gave out pamphlets and candy to parade watchers. I have lived in Moorpark for 6 1/2 years, and I have NEVER, not once, attended Moorpark Country Days. But Prop.8 was enough to get me out there, and to top it all off, IT RAINED!!! We live in a desert, and it rains maybe 10-12 days a year here. Why did it have to rain on that one day? And me in my WHITE prop. 8 shirt?! (I tried using an umbrella but kept poking the people around me with it, so I gave up and just got wet) Anyway, I think we made the statement we were trying for. I heard a city official say, "This is GREAT! Can you all come next year too?" We were an impressive sight! Thanks, everyone who joined in - and thanks to Heather and Nathan Roberts for being the organizers behind this big thing. It was an honor to participate.
After the parade ended (not nearly as long as I thought it would be), we rapidly found a potty for Sophie, convinced the kids they DO NOT need to ride the kiddie train, and headed home for a relaxing rest of the weekend watching General Conference. I LOVE GENERAL CONFERENCE!!! And I LOVE having satellite TV!!! Staying home to watch conference is so nice. I stayed in my jammies all day long...and I felt the Spirit nicely, thank you very much. I really liked Pres. Monson's talk about enjoying the moment. That is a good one for all moms, especially the homeschooling variety! And Megan made delicious brownies. Fabulous!

4 comments:

Mike & Dawn said...

What a great thing to do with your family! Wish we could have been part of it. Gen Conf. was great, even though we watched it 6-8 p.m. and then 10-12a.m.!! (I confess I gave up on the last session the last day - too late for us missionaries that have to get up and going early in the morning.) Plus we're plain getting old!

nikki said...

I had never been in a parade before! It was an honor to walk with you all!p.s. I'm stealing that pic and putting it on my blog too! It's great!

Nicole said...

Go Prop 8!
Wasn't that great? I'm glad my kids could be a part of something so big too. I want them to remember the importance of standing up for what you believe in!

Teri said...

Way to go, Laura and the rest of the Wright fam!