Thursday, March 18, 2010

Camarillo Strawberries


Strawberry season snuck up on me this year! I bought some lovelies at the grocery store the other day and while they were tasty, they were NOTHING compared to the famous Las Posas Berries.

Having grown up in Ventura County, I have had ample opportunity to gorge myself on the best strawberries in the world - and that little fruit stand on the corner of Las Posas and Somis Rds. in Camarillo, CA is the all-time best. And has been for years. I don't know what their magic is, but the strawberries are the largest, juiciest, and most flavorful berries I have ever tasted.
So today, Chad brought me home three baskets of Las Posas berries - what a treat - and of course, I had to make some almond cream to go with them. (The berries can stand on their own, but with that cream...they are divine.)

I post this knowing my sisters will be jealous. (Last year one sister had a flat of those berries hand-carried on a plane and delivered to her door in Provo, UT) And to motivate them to come visit me! Girls, I will serve you strawberries prepared in all the best ways: with almond cream, dipped in chocolate, in a smoothie, or just plain. You name the day.

Meanwhile, I'm going to make myself sick on berries. Bliss!

6 comments:

kstalder said...

I remember vividly coming to CA for Chads graduation as a newlywed, and you serving us strawberries...the best I've ever had. I'm assuming these are the same? Enjoy!

Nicole said...

You are lucky that Chad can easily swing by that stand on his way home! Lucky! I haven't grown up here, but in the 11 years I've been here, my eyes have been opened to REAL strawberry goodness!! I LOVE strawberry season! Bring it on!!

Teri said...

OK, that post just helped us make our decision: we're on our way!

Laura said...

Haha, Teri! Come for my birthday!

Becky M said...

Those make me drool just looking at them. I'll have to figure out where that stand is and rush on over! :)

P.S. What's your recipe for almond cream? Sounds delicious.

Teri said...

And they were every bit as good as the picture, especially with the almond cream. We made it home with 2 baskets. I'm trying to save one until Kristin gets here on Tuesday. i'm not sure if they will make it.

Too yummy for words!