Thursday, March 11, 2010

Dodging a bullet...or Tender Mercies

Just heard some very sad news yesterday that I cannot stop thinking about. One of my Mom's best friend's husband just got arrested for child molestation. Which is a tragedy for the family and so heartbreaking for Mom's friend - her life was shattered - she had no idea. I ache for that family (and for his victims, who were related to him) because I cannot imagine going through something like that!

But at the same time, I can't help feeling like we dodged a bullet in a big way! There were many times this man gave my kids pieces of candy at church and chit-chatted with them when we were visiting my parents. I thought he was a little creepy, so I never let my kids be alone with him... but I felt pretty safe letting the kids take candy from him because he was practically a relative.
But the sad truth is, a huge percentage of sexual molestations are perpetrated by a family member or close family friend. I just have to wonder how many times that Mother's Intuition (call it gut instinct or spiritual prompting) has saved a child from being a victim. I am so thankful for tender mercies!

2 comments:

AmyJune said...

Good for you for not IGNORING your feelings in an attempt to be "nice". Creepy is creepy and you listened to your gut. Have you read my favorite book ever, Protecting the Gift by Gavin Debecker? I would love to lend it to you if you are interested in reading it.

Nicole said...

I've had that feeling a few times too. I never second guess it. You just can't be too careful these days. Sad story. I'm so sorry.