I heard the dog start barking at about 5:00 this morning. I tried to sleep through it until the alarm went off at 5:30, when I got up to get Adam off to seminary. I could barely get him out of bed, and he went to bed at 9:15 last night! The dogs were in full bark by then so I let them out to do their business. I often try to get back to sleep after Adam leaves but most days I just lay there thinking. This morning, I was so exhausted, but couldn't fall back asleep because, even though I left him happily licking the couch, the dang dog would not stop barking! There was no good reason for him to be barking. About 6:15 I gave up, went downstairs and threw him back in his crate, cussing under my breath. And I turned on the "sonic egg" - an interesting large egg shaped unit that is supposed to send out loud sonic waves that only the dog can hear, triggered by the sound of a bark. It used to work. I put in a new battery yesterday. Clearly, it doesn't work anymore. Either that, or Monty has developed selective deafness. After all that barking, I wouldn't be surprised. I tried and tried to get back to sleep after that but mainly just lay there wondering why I was so blooming exhausted - I usually can get by on 7 hours of sleep. Then I remembered my day yesterday:
Got up at 5:30am to get Adam off to seminary.
Stayed up to write a letter to Meg and that seriously took an hour because I didn't want to make her homesick and I kept having to go back and re-write sections. I don't think it does her any good to hear about my day-to-day stuff or anything negative about Adam.
Then Chad and I went on a 4 mile bike ride - my 2nd one in like 8 months, and that was fun but today I am so sore.
Then I got Sam and Sophie out of bed and breakfasting.
I got them all started on their work for the day.
Then started cleaning up the kitchen.
At 11:00 I had a meeting with the education facilitator from the charter school we work with.
Got started with a new social studies and science curriculum for Sophie. This is one time I am super jealous of trained teachers...I have to learn the new curricula without anyone to train me. Its a good thing I remember the state capitals and regions of the US without needing too many reminders. My public school education paying off, haha.
Anyway, then a quick trip to Target to pick up Adam's meds, with complications of course. The insurance co doesn't want to cover anything anymore. Thank you Obamacare.
Back home to greet Adam for lunch (I always try to be here for that - I can cheerlead/nag him through the rest of the day).
Then I had to take Sam to the dentist because he lost a filling.
Then we went to Michael's to pick up some decorating supplies - there is a fall pumpkin topiary I saw on Pinterest that I want to try to make.
Then the BIG nagging Adam section of my day started...or maybe that was just BIG Nagging Part 2 or 3. I can't get him to do homework to save my life. I have tried EVERYTHING! And I can't just let him fail, then he will be living with me for the rest of his life for sure!
Then there was dinner,
FHE,
and more nagging.
For FHE we played Apples to Apples while Adam did about 30 minutes of hw in 60 minutes with lots of interruptions for more nagging. He went to bed at 9:15,
the minute we finished scriptures and prayer.
Then the nagging of the other kids began.
By the time I fell into bed at 10:30, I felt like a wrung out piece of paper towel. Of course, that's when Sam and Sophie started coming in to talk. I can't turn them away when they want to talk. These are good teaching moments! The last thing I saw before I fell asleep was the clock, saying 11:30, and I knew morning was going to come waaaay too soon.
And it did. Stupid dog!!
The truth is, this is every day (well, sometimes if I'm REALLY lucky, the dogs sleep in, that's only happened once that I remember). I don't remember the last time I slept past 5:30, even on weekends. I never make it to bed before 11:00 unless I am sick. Maybe I am getting sick? I think I'm getting sick. And grouchy.
Tuesday, September 24, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I'm exhausted just reading this post! Your kids are lucky to have you! Is Sam going to do Cotillion?
Yes, Jill, it totally helped that your boys were there!
And this my friend is exactly why i could never have a dog. Sounds worse than a newwborn. :)
He'll probably be in Olivia's class and the boys are assistants.
Amy - yes, dogs are like babies. Minus the diapers. But last night...shock collar...can't put one of those on a baby! It worked. Only one feeble bark at 5:30am and then blessed silence.
Post a Comment