Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Racism

I got a letter from Meg today, this was the first sentence, "So now that I have a new companion, I feel comfortable telling you about what a trial my trainer was."  She went on to describe treatment that makes me want to find that companion and punch her in the face.  Meg found out from her Bishop's wife that her trainer was talking such trash about Meg, especially about her being a palangi (white person).  She wouldn't help Meg learn Fijian because she didn't want her to understand all the garbage she was saying about her.  Right in front of her face, to members and investigators alike.  The Bishop's wife went on to tell Meg that the reason the missionaries didn't get any support from the ward members was because of that trainer - they knew what she was and that she didn't have the Spirit with her.  They felt sorry for Megan but they wouldn't allow that companion in their homes!  She was disobedient of the missionary rules, and just downright ugly and mean to Megan.  So Megan, in her effort to create a better environment, began serving this trainer like she has never served anyone before.  As I read her list, of the things she did for this trainer, I felt like she was taken advantage of, and really, treated like a slave.  Right down to carrying the trainer's backback for her, giving the trainer her jacket when it started raining, cooking for her, bringing her breakfast in bed.  Complimenting her, telling her she loved her, doing everything she could to make that trainer like her.  But Meg lost herself a little.  And then she had to learn to find herself in the Lord.  She said that sleep was her only refuge and prayer her only comfort.  She said that the past three months were the hardest she has ever experienced, but "I wouldn't change them, because I have learned and grown so much.  I don't feel like a kid anymore, I feel like a woman.  You grow up fast on a mission."
I have heard that there is a problem with racism in these S. Pacific islands.  The natives throw those racist terms (whitey, palangi, howlie) around all the time, and make fun of whites.  How sad, that Meg's very first experience in the mission field was with a completely racist trainer.  And no wonder there are so few palangi sister missionaries in Fiji.
The mission pres. knew some of this stuff, but not all of it.  Meg talked to him and he gave her a blessing.  But he didn't transfer either one of them until two weeks ago.  There must have been a good reason why.  My heart aches for Meg - she would never have put up with being treated that way here at home!  But she was brand new in a completely foreign country, doing her very best to serve the Lord and bring some semblance of Spirit into that companionship.  I feel horrible thinking about what she must have felt!  She has been and will be blessed for those hellish 3 months.  But man!  It makes me mad! Really really mad!  At least she got a wonderful new companion who has her back now.  And at least she got that trial by fire over at the very beginning of her mission.  And at least she has the ward members back on her side and willing to work with her.

I can't write any of this stuff on her blog.  It is completely public and will probably be read by other missionaries or their families who know this trainer.  But I'm pretty sure this blog is only read by my family and friends, so I feel free to post this here.

1 comment:

Mike & Dawn said...

Oh Laura! This just makes me sooooo mad!!!!! And I just started crying for Meg! How could she go through this? I feel terrible too because I sent her this long letter about how I was having a hard time getting along with someone and I finally decided the answer to my prayers was to "serve" that person. So I told Meg she should try that! Look where it got her.....grrr..... Why did the MP leave them together? Maybe this explains the middle-of- the-night transfer! But we both know she has learned a wonderful lesson or lessons from this experience and she will be so much ahead of others in compassion, tolerance, forgiveness, etc. than many of her peers. She is wonderful!