Friday, August 28, 2009

It's official

I have decided to run a 5K.

I can't believe I just wrote that. I hate running and have tried repeatedly to incorporate it into my life but to no avail. Sore calves, shin-splints, and by the time I get home, numb feet. Every time. And I still get that, but I am powering through it. I have been walk/running every morning for about two months now, and the emotional benefits are undeniable...I call it my "sanity run" for a reason!

So anyway, it seems to be the trendy thing right now to run 5-10K's and after all, that is a really good goal to work toward. So I am committing to run a 5K within the next 6 months (I would say 3, but I am having trouble finding one on a Saturday in the fall and winter).

I am running most of 2 miles a day right now, but I hope to be up to 3/day by October. Which may not sound like much but I have to take baby steps or I will collapse and die.

Someday I will be able to walk/run to Zion with one of my children on my back. If I need to.


UPDATE! The race is on! October 24, the October Classic in Ojai. Chad is running it with me, as well as my racing inspiration, Rebecca G. Thanks, Rebecca!

12 comments:

Nicole said...

You're awesome! I'm trying to get brave enough to do one too... since I'm feeling the pressure that just about EVERYONE has done it.. I want to be part of the 'in' crowd too! You go girl!!

Mike & Dawn said...

I'm so proud of you Laura! Good luck.

dorothy said...

Go for it Laura!

Becky M said...

Good luck Laura! You are far braver than I! I think I would pass out after the first 400 yards - although I could always walk it I guess. :)

rebecca said...

Woo hoo! We're going to have FUN!

kstalder said...

I agree about the 'sanity time'. I walk about 3 miles almost every morning and it's so quiet, and lovely. I can't get enough of it. I think you're doing a great thing and I'm proud of you!

AmyJune said...

Good for you!!!

Teri said...

Are you crazy?!

Laura said...

Thanks for your vote of confidence, Ter. :o)

Helen said...

Awesome! You'll do great! And when you're done you'll think "that was it? I can SO do that again, no biggie" :)

Teri said...

I have confidence in you, but coming from a family of sprinters...we think long distance runners have to be at least a little bit crazy!

Teri said...

OK, so I didn't see the "5" and just assumed marathon...now I wish I could do it with you.