Friday, January 2, 2009

MerryChristmasHappyNewYear!

I know, I know. I am running so very far behind on this blog. I blame it on my camera-to-computer port cord, which went wandering off about three weeks ago. In spite of having many pictures to post, I cannot import them. Frustrating!

We had a wonderful, quiet, and downright lazy Christmas with just the six of us. I was forced to simplify because of said surgery, and it was sooo nice! Unfortunately, part of that simplification was that we did not get any Christmas cards sent out. Oh well, if you are reading this blog, then you know everything anyway. Maybe next year!
We went to Big Bear between Christmas and New Year's to get a little snow play in - BIG MISTAKE!!! The traffic was the worst, and then it was so crowded that we only stayed for about 3 hours. The kids were begging to go home! I spoke to a shop owner, and he said that it is ALWAYS that crowded during the holidays. Next year, we'll go in January sometime. Or, maybe we'll just drive up to UT and play in Grandma's snow. The drive wouldn't be much longer!

On Jan. 30, we hosted our 5th Annual New Year's Party (I can't believe it has been 5 years!). This year, Chad really wanted his band to perform at the party, and after some mild arguing/negotiating, I agreed. Chad got permission to use the church cultural hall, which was great because I just can't accommodate a rock band in my house. I was worried about decorating - hard to make that room look really festive! But thanks to lots of balloons and Adam's help setting up every table and chair in the room (!), we pulled it together. Thanks to all our friends for coming out and supporting us - we had a great time and hope you did too! And clean-up was a breeze, with all the helpers! The band is happy, they got to perform in front of real live people!
We always have a true White Elephant gift exchange - some of my favorites from this year are:

1) the coin purse made from a Kangaroo scrotum (you can't even tell!)
2) the Tinkerbell costume
3) as always, the "Goaticorn", a lovely ceramic candy dish (for you out-of-staters, it looks like a mixture between a goat and a unicorn) that comes attached with the stipulation that it must be on display at the home of the recipient for the whole year...looking forward to seeing it at Hanshaw's house this year!

After the party, the actual New Year's Eve was tame. We played "Pass the Pigs" with the kids and then went to bed. Before midnight. Aaaahhhh...sleep. Until Megan got home from the Stake New Year's Eve dance, and had to tell me all about it. I got back up for that!
Now I just have one more weekend to get through before the kids head back to school and I am back at it with Adam and his homeschooling. I sure have enjoyed the break!
Thank goodness for Christmas vacation! I have enjoyed spending time with those I love. And having time to reflect on what is really important in life. My Savior, my family, and my friends. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
May 2009 be a better year for us all!

6 comments:

Jill said...

I'm glad you finally posted! We always have fun at your New Year's party. Sorry we couldn't stay to help with clean up!

kstalder said...

Sounds like you did have a wonderful holiday and vacation. Now it's back normal. Not sure if that's good or bad! Happy New Year!

nikki said...

Sorry I missed your party! Thanks for the highlights, I just wasn't feeling very social and we had been doing lots of work around the house so I really was tired! I look forward to next year!

Helen said...

LOVED your party. Its the perfect ending to the year, and perfect start for the next. Thanks!

Nicole said...

Sounds like you had a great holiday! Thanks for another fabulous party! The band was GREAT!I'm so sad to see the goaticorn leave, but hope the Hanshaw's will provide a good home for it this next year! lol

Kate said...

Another great party, with lots of laughs. Great commentary all throughout the games- thanks! - The band sounds awesome! Lucky me got the genuine kangaroo scrotum coin purse-- no seams! hehe

Funny to see the goaticorn still cycling through as we orininally brought the gift- who knew it'd be the most dreaded gift, yet laughing stock of the game!?