9/2/08 UPDATE:
Still run/walking every morn, thighs hurting less, still having major shin-splints and spasms in my feet. I tried getting new shoes (Nikes) but they still hurt. Any advice from my runner friends?
My butt hurts, my calves hurt, I have shin splints, and my thighs have started seizing up whenever I sit for any period of time...
After teaching an inspiring (not my teaching, the lesson) RS lesson on Sunday about life-reflection and goal-setting, I got up Monday morning and walk-jogged all around my neighborhood for 45 minutes. I am in very bad shape after about a year of sedentary lifestyle, and am carrying just a tad more weight around than I want to (desk work, stress, and too much junk food will do that to you). So I set some pretty simple goals - I bought a pedometer and swore to walk at least 10,500 steps a day (this is the recommended daily dose of stepping).
Monday morning went ok because I was taking it pretty slow and also, I wasn't sore yet. And, I had MUSIC, really good upbeat music that made me want to dance (Gwen Stefani, ACDC, Carrie Underwood, The Click Five, Simon & Garfunkel, and Greenday, to name a few)...you should have seen me when MC Hammer's "Can't Touch This" came on (not my normal listening choice but very good for working out). Yes, Chad was/is laughing at me.
Tuesday morning I started trying to run a little more, even though my feet went numb and the shin splints were so bad I had to sit on down on some perfect stranger's porch until I could bear to walk again (I HAVE been stretching!). When that day was over and I looked down at my pedometer, it registered a lowly 6400, and I thought, "that can't be right!" but on went the running shoes again and I was back out pounding pavement for 30 more minutes. Then I checked it again and had one of those classic Laura moments: the pedometer was set on miles walked, not steps. I didn't see that little decimal point the first time I checked, telling me that I had walked 6.400 miles. When I switched it over to steps, I was clear up around 17,000!!! Uuughhh...
Wednesday I barely made it. I thought I was going to die. 'Nuff said.
But today, something very weird happened...I was still in pain and had to push myself very hard, but after I had been alternating jogging (Runners are always skinny, haven't you noticed this?) with walking for about 30 minutes, the jogging portions sort of stretched out longer and longer. It stopped hurting. I felt pretty good, actually. Then I got this insane desire to speed up! When I got home, I was so proud of myself that I literally jumped in the air! I think I experienced runner's rush for the first time in my life!!! I've heard people talk about it but I never believed it really existed. Of course it could have just been the song that came on: "Paralyzer" by Finger Eleven.
All I can say is that I hope I get it again tomorrow!!!
Thursday, August 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Congrats!!! We started going to the gym last fall and experienced very similar things. I understand if walking down stairs makes you whimper a little :D We're talking about running a half marathon next spring... I'm torn between excited and dreading it... but here's to running!!!
I also have never ever ever ever seen a runner smiling!!! It can't be that wonderful..... Good luck to you, I'm proud of you.
I don't think I'll ever experience that runner's rush. I hate to run. Although, I was inspired by your lesson on Sunday and had every intention of starting an exercise routine (even if it's just walking the poor, neglected dog). I planned to star the first day of school, when majority of the kids were gone. Of course, that plan was thrwarted w/ my car accident and injuries. Sheesh! Somehow I always come up with an excuse! I'm proud of you though, and glad that you're pushing through! You go girl!
Way to go, Laura! You're awesome!
I too am unable to sit on the loo and climb stairs. I had a friend that is a sports trainer at htee college work me up a fitness program and I think I will go egg her house tonight, except I can't lift my arm high enough to throw! Go Laura!!!
I choose not to run.
Good for you! Maybe we can buddy up sometime. I love going out with a friend.
(And btw, I see runners smiling all the time!)
Ain't it great! So proud of you Laura for stickin' it out. I tell people all the time the best thing to do when your sore is cardio, get those achy muscles warm. I started out the same way..walk/run as long as you can, recover run again....over time it gets easier and easier..look at me now..just be careful, you don't want to injure yourself or over do it!
Post a Comment