Last night my orthodontist hubby was recognized by a school PTA for donating $5000 worth of braces per year, to the school auction for the past 5 years. They said that he single-handedly created 2 smart classrooms. Which I assume is pretty expensive...and the funny thing is, after the dinner and awards ceremony, he was swamped by PTA people from multiple other schools who had also benefitted from the same types of donations but just hadn't formally recognized him. And Chad was just embarrassed. He never expected or wanted recognition. This experience made me start to reflect on blessings in this life. Our attitude toward donations has always been this: the Lord has seen fit to bless us, so how could we be selfish with it? And its true. Although we have had challenges, and I have complained about them here and elsewhere, overall, we have been greatly greatly blessed.
I believe that all people are "blessed" with challenges in this life so that we can be humbled, and so that we can gain strength and stamina to endure to the end. Each of us are given the challenges that are uniquely matched to our weaknesses. I have a lot of weaknesses. Self-pity, discouragement, and huge insecurities about how to be a good mom being some of them. But I find strength and encouragement in scripture study, prayer, and the love and support of wonderful people. So even in the midst of uncertainty, fear, and worry, I am overwhelmingly blessed.
Since Adam's diagnosis, I have noticed that the Lord has placed in my life one person after another who have experience with bipolar. You wouldn't believe how many people that I know who have someone in their family that is bipolar. I have been pretty shocked. He has led me to articles, support groups, even U-tube videos, that inspire me to be more active in the bipolar community. And most of all, He has given me 3 other wonderful children who, although being knuckleheads in many ways, are just joys in my life. Adam is a joy too, in a different way. When he is having a good day, and those rare moments of kindness show, all I want to do is wrap my arms around him and tell him how much I love him. Which might seem kind of weird after the incredible frustration the day before of him annoying the heck out of all of us! That is patience. It is also a blessing from the Lord. Because I am not naturally a very patient person. So I am learning.
I can see that a big thing that I need to work on is counting all my blessings. Those tender mercies. I'm on board!
Tuesday, April 23, 2013
Blessings
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment